Thursday, July 07, 2005

literary endeavours

Everyone who knows me well enough knows that I devour books. Two to three books a day is the norm. Sometimes consecutively, sometimes concurrently. Comics as well. I have a shitload of books at home. Almost all the Terry Pratchett ones, Robert Rankin (he's like Terry Pratchett after a few magic mushrooms) by the buttload. All the Frank Herbert Dune books. The Da Vinci code (fascinating read. Crap story, great background stuff), Neil Gaiman's 1602, the Grant Morrison run on the X-men. Hellboy . Kingdom Come (hur hur hur...come). And heaps more. Most of this, as you can probably see, is geek stuff. Because, well, I'm a geek. Don't tell anyone. It's my dirty litte secret shame.

Anyhoo, here's the point: The book stores here depress me. I go there, as often as I can. And each and everytime, I'm disappointed. There's no new stuff. EVER. Sure, they have the Star Wars novelisations, but Star Wars has never been the epitome of good writing. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a delusional fanboy (tip for chasing Star Wars fanboys away: Midichlorians). Jeffrey Archer and John Grisham make me sick.

The ones in KL are way better. But their selections are still a bit hampered. Censorship or something, I gather. The one in that place, what was it called? The Megamall? Yeah, and I asked the lovely lady there where the Robert Rankin books were and she lead me to a shelf with Ian Rankin's stuff. She seemed awfully proud of herself so I smiled and said "Thank you."

Philip K. Dick (hur hur hur..dick) is nigh impossible to find. Ditto with Isaac Asimov and that Murakami dude.

I'll be moving to KL to live for three years on the 22nd of this month. If there's someone out there, who's reading this and lives in KL, could you, like, leave a few pointers on where I might find a nice comic book specialty store, a book store with a lovely selection of books and an art supply store? Preferably near Cyberjaya. I will love you long time.

6 Comments:

Blogger paradoxx said...

Borders, Times Square!
No where close to putrajaya, but hey you'll still have to visit that area..

3:17 PM  
Blogger Illicitus said...

Went with a friend to Kinokuniya few days ago. Neil Gaiman was doing a signing session. Was in queue and we felt awfully out of place.

Not only have we not read any of his books, we had no idea who the fuck he was.

"Is he like famous or something?"

*looks at the looong queue*

"Hmm must be"

5:47 PM  
Blogger Illicitus said...

Oh, the only thing that struck me was that in his poster, he looked an awful lot like Josh Groban.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ice cream???? so now its ice cream huh??? bloody go suck on an egg.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Keem said...

mich doesn't know neil gaiman!?

*stunned*

nothing is near putrajaya lah..and i doubt you've found a place in the area itself to stay? most lict students stay in town and take a bus or something down.

borders, kino, mph etc is good but expensive. i recommend secondhand bookstores! (http://www.paylessbooks.com.my) have seen a couple of gaimans lying around. pratchett hard to come by though. isomov ada banyak juga. the other authors you mentioned - no idea who they are.

12:53 PM  
Blogger FishBalls said...

you don't know robert rankin!?!? sacrilegious! no surprise actually. i haven't found a single book by him in malaysia. well the bits of malaysia that i've been to, at least.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home